Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Kamakura outing

Today it was OBON, a very important holiday for Japanese people. This is the day to return to your family home, to connect with ancestors. What a better excuse for me to return to one of my favorite places, Kamakura. It is 1 hour outside of Tokyo, with a 35' bronze Buddha, built in 800 AD. Though it was extremely hot and humid, I arrived early to start my hike while it was cooler. There is a hiking trail that leads from the train station, over a mountain, past the grave and temple of a famous shogan, and arriving at the Daibutsu (Great Buddha).
This trail has been used for hundreds of years, and I truly felt I was walking in the footsteps of the ancestors. Notice the stairs, made of wood. In some places, there were rounded footholds worn into large smooth rocks, showing centuries of use.
Here's the view from the top, looking out over the town of Kamakura. At top right is the harbor beach, which you will see a close-up photo of at the end of this post.
These seats are actual log stumps, set around stone tables, using only natural materials. Placed on the temple grounds for those hiking this pilgrimage to the Buddha, they have been here long enough to grow mushrooms!
It was very crowded, so I was delighted to catch a photo while the Buddha had some peace and quiet.
What would Buddha think of her shoes!
After the Buddha, walking down the shopping street.
This kitty was a favorite for many tourist photos.
I think he liked the attention!
OMG! How does anyone swim? Too crowded for me. Time to go home! I'm planning a trip to the beach at the end of my trip. I have heard that there are Jelly Fish warnings by the government after September 1 - but just to get everyone back to work! So the beach will probably be empty for me.

This is a short post today. I'll post again soon. Enjoy your weather, where ever you are, knowing that here, it is hot, hot, hot!

Love Daeryl

No comments: